(COE application for Phuket Sandbox will commence on Monday, 28 June 2021; for entry to Thailand from 1 July 2021 onwards)
- What is Phuket Sandbox?
- A tourism-promotion scheme that allows fully vaccinated travellers to enter Phuket, Thailand, without quarantine, subject to conditions below.
- Have valid Thai visa or re-entry permit or be eligible to enter Thailand under the Tourist Visa Exemption (for more information on the Tourist Visa Exemption, please refer to https://tinyurl.com/visaexemption)
Travellers who need a visa to enter Thailand have to contact the Royal Thai Embassy, Bucharest via thaiembassy.BUH@mfa.mail.go.th to apply for a visa before proceeding with the Certificate of Entry (COE) application.
- Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with a vaccine approved by World Health Organization (WHO) or Ministry of Public Health of Thailand no less than 14 days before departure. Travellers must show Certificate of Vaccination issued by a government authority. Certificate of Vaccination without English language will not be accepted.
- If the vaccine requires two doses, they must be of the same vaccine. Vaccination by two different vaccines is not accepted together as "fully vaccinated".
- Certificate of recovery is not accepted.
- Children under the age of 18, travelling with parents, are eligible without proof of vaccination. If they travel without their parents or legal guardians, they have to be fully vaccinated.
- Must come from countries/regions approved by the Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA), per the guidelines of the Ministry of Public Health, as proposed by the Ministry of Tourism and Sports and TAT. At present, travellers from Romania and Bulgaria are eligible. Travellers must, however, be in these eligible countries for at least 21 consecutive days.
- Must have health insurance which covers treatment and medical expenses in relation to COVID-19, with a minimum coverage of 100,000 USD.
- Both non-Thais and Thais are eligible.
How to apply for COE
- Must stay at a hotel that meets the "SHA+" standard for at least 14 nights, unless travellers have proof of return tickets leaving Phuket (to another country which they are eligible to enter) before 14 days.
- Confirmation of "SHA+" hotel booking must be issued under the SHABA system (SHA Plus Booking Authentication system) or booking under http://entrythailand.go.th/. List of SHA+ hotels can be accessed via https://bit.ly/3556nel or https://shathailand.com
- Must stay at one hotel for at least the first 7 days, after which hotel can be changed for the next 7 days (within Phuket only).
- After 14 days, they may travel to other parts of Thailand. Departure earlier than 14 days is possible only for destination outside of Thailand.
- Must enter Thailand via Phuket International Airport.
- From Phuket International Airport, travellers must travel to their SHA+ hotels in pre-booked cars provided by the SHA+ hotels.
- COVID-19 tests
- Travellers must present RT-PCR negative test result issued no more than 72 hours before departure.
- Upon entry, travellers will have to undergo three COVID-19 tests at different times, at the traveller's own expenses. The first test will be done upon arrival; travellers will be allowed outside of their hotel rooms only upon confirmation of negative result of the first test. The COVID-19 tests have to be pre-booked and paid in advance through the hotel and travellers have to upload the payment confirmation when they apply for COE.
- Journey-tracing application
- Travellers must install and use journey-tracing application as instructed by the Thai Government throughout the 14 days in Phuket, otherwise they may not be allowed to leave Phuket to other parts of Thailand after 14 days.
- Travellers under "Phuket Sandbox" programme must apply for a Certificate of Entry (COE), like all other travellers, via https://coethailand.mfa.go.th/ from 28 June 2021
(for entry to Thailand from 1 July 2021 onwards). They can apply for COE up to 30 days
- COE application for "Phuket Sandbox" programme will commence on 28 June 2021 at 12.00 hrs. (Thailand time).
- All travellers who have received COEs are required to download, and register via, ThailandPlus Application. They are required to show a QR code generated from the registration via the Application to be scanned by Thai authority upon arrival in Thailand. To download, visit https://thailandplus.in.th/en/
Further details of the "Phuket Sandbox" programme will be provided once the relevant orders/regulations are published in the Royal Gazette.
Disclaimer: the above information is subject to change without prior notice.
Royal Thai Embassy, Bucharest
29 June 2021